One of the things we love about our building here at 325 Main Street West is its heritage. Here’s what we’ve been able to learn.
This building was built and originally owned by John and Annie McNamara.
Mr. McNamara (1863-1935) was born and raised in Walkerton, County of Bruce Ontario. After graduating from the Toronto Law School, he arrived in North Bay on Nov. 1st, 1888, and went at once into practice.
In addition to having one of the largest law practices in the district, he took a keen interest in politics. He was a member of North Bay’s town council in 1897 and 1898, was the town’s mayor in 1899 and 1900, and in 1902 became President of the Conservative Association for the District of Nipissing. He became a judge in his later years.
Mr. McNamara was also active with the Catholic Church and was on the building committee for its construction, was a long-standing High School Board member, and was connected with many fraternal societies.
Mrs. McNamara was the daughter of Wm. Doran. The couple had two children, a son and a daughter.